Language Courses for Au Pairs in the U.S.

Are you looking for a language school for au pairs in the U.S.? Find out more about a language course in the United States!


Au Pair in the U.S.

amerika aupairDo you want to take language classes during your au pair stay in the U.S.?


Important information! Anybody who wants to work as an au pair in the United States needs to hire an au pair agency that is certified by the US embassy, and then get a corresponding working visa through this agency.


The au pair agencies offer different language courses which are usually mandatory.


You should take advantage of this service in order to improve your English and learn more about US culture.


The USA and the English Language

Having a good level of English is not only important for your education but also for your career, and it will open many doors for you. The USA (United States of America) is known as the land of opportunities. But it is also known to be a country of great distances. Things in the US are usually far away from each other. Therefore, the car is the most important means of transportation in the US. If your au pair family lives in the suburbs, you will definitely need a driver's license.


You can only rely on public transportation in big cities like New York or Washington D.C.


Language Courses in the United States

If you work as an au pair in the USA, you can take college courses or go to evening classes. Many American colleges offer different language courses that are very popular with young people. Apart from learning English, you can also learn a lot abut college life in the US and meet new people.


Course Length

  • one semester


The average course length is 6 hours per week. However, au pairs in the US work more hours than in any other country. So you won't have a lot of free time and therefore there won't be many courses that will be compatible with your working schedule. Au pairs in the US work up to 45 hours per week, which won't leave you enough time to take intensive classes.


You will probably find more courses that fit your schedule in Community Colleges, where they also offer evening classes.


Prices and Costs

Your host family in the US should pay for your language course. A course can cost up to 500 US dollars.


Our suggestion: In the US you can also find so-called Continuing Education Classes that are usually cheaper than the college courses.


There are also considerable price differences between college courses. Also keep in mind that as a non-resident, you will have to pay more for a language course than residents do.



When applying to colleges, and also for job applications, having a language certificate can be very useful. The most well-known certificates are the Cambridge certificates (First Certificate FCE, Certificate in Advanced English CAE & Proficiency Certificate CPE). You can take the FCE exam in March, June or December and the CAE and CPE exams are in June and December.


Language Schools in the United States:

language school aupairNew York

  • New York Language Center
  • Bell Language School
  • Engslih Language Centres
  • Hunter College

San Francisco

  • City College of San Francisco
  • Embassy English
  • American Language Institute

Los Angeles

  • Kaplan
  • Kings

San Diego

  • Eurocentres
  • English College

New Jersey

  • IPSA
  • Hudson County Community College



Do you know a language school that is missing from our list? Contact us and tell us about your experience!



Read more about "Au Pair in the U.S." here.