• Opening Time : 8:30 AM - 9:30 PM

Expenses for an au pair


If you work as an au pair, how high are your expenses? How much money do you need? What expenses do you have?

Find out more about your expenses as an au pair.


How much  money  do you spend during an au pair year?
This is an important question for young people who think about working as an au pair.

Compared to a regular stay abroad, if you spend time abroad as an au pair it will be very  cheap  for you since your host family pays for your  accommodation  and food.
Additionally, you receive a small amount of pocket money from your host family.


  • Expenses for a certificate of good conduct and for a medical certificate;
  • expenses for vaccinations;
  • travel expenses (how much exactly depends on the country you are traveling to);
  • international insurances;
  • expenses for a language course abroad and the exam;
  • expenses for a visa and international license (for countries overseas);
  • If you had an au pair agency find a host family for you, you have to pay them a fee (100-200 euros within Europe, 700-1,500 euros overseas – although travel expenses might already be included in the fee).

OTHER COSTS You are thinking about 

You are thinking about  spending  an au pair year in the USA and you are worried about the  costs ?

Then we have good news for you: your host family pays for all of your  travel expenses ! It is the same in Iceland, but in other countries you have to pay for your au pair travel expenses yourself.

As an au pair, you not only have  expenses , you also have a small income; your au pair  pocket money . How much pocket money you will get depends on the country and the living costs there.

Watch out:  your host family doesn’t have to pay you your pocket money in advance when you first arrive. Most host families usually don’t do that. So make sure you have some  extra money  for your first days and weeks as an au pair.

If you are from  Germany  and want to work abroad as an au pair, you might still receive your  money  from the The Department for Child and Family Services (Familienkasse). In order to receive the  payments  you need a certificate from your language institute that states that you take language classes on a regular basis, for at least 10 hours per week.