• Opening Time : 8:30 AM - 9:30 PM

Entry regulations and Visa

Au pair entry regulations

What are the entry and visa regulations for an au pair? As a host family, what do you need to know about entry regulations and what do these regulations mean for you?

Read more about “Entry regulations for au pair”.


  • An au pair program within the EU requires only a passport
  • Au pairs from non-EU or non-EEA countries need a visa
  • The alien registration office responsible for the residence title for specific purposes for an au pair

Au pairs from EU or EFTA countries

What are the  entry regulations for au pairs from EU  countries?

If you live in the EU and your au pair is from one of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain (UK), Hungary, Ireland, Italy , Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain or an EFTA country such as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland,

…these are the  entry regulations for the au pairs :

  • Your au pair doesn’t need a visa to come to another EU country
  • Your au pair needs a valid ID or passport
  • Find out if your au pair has to register (some countries require au pairs to register with the local registration office )
Only if you invite an au pair from Bulgaria or Romania will your au pair need (apart from the passport) a residence permit and a work permit.

Au pair from a non-EU country

What are the entry regulations for an au pair from non-EU countries?

If you are hosting an au pair from a non-EU country, your au pair will need a visa  to come and stay with your family.

Your au pair has to apply for the visa on time, usually months before the actual au pair stay, since it can take some time (depending on work load and country of origin) to process the visa application for the au pair.


What documents does your au pair need in order
to apply for a visa?

  • Your au pair needs a valid passport
  • Your au pair needs a contract and an invitation letter from the host family (both documents have to be signed)
  • Keep in mind: when applying for the visa, your au pair cannot be older than 24

After arrival

Once the au pair has arrived to the house of the host family, in some countries the au pair has to register with the local registration office. If you are not sure about the requirements and procedures, get in touch with your local or regional administration office. In some countries where au pairs have to register, they might only get a residence permit for a certain period of time (for example 3 months). If that is the case, make sure your au pair gets an extension on time.