• Opening Time : 8:30 AM - 9:30 PM

Paperwork as Au Pair


When you arrive at your au pair family in the host country, you still have to deal with some paperwork.
Read more about the paperwork you have to do as an au pair.


You have arrived at your host family’s house – congratulations! You have survived a long trip and now an exciting time as an  au pair awaits you. As soon as you get settled in with your host family you should start thinking about the administrative requirements for you in your host country . The requirements differ from country to country. Therefore, it is necessary for you to find out about the entry and residence requirements in your host country. In some countries you will need a work permit in addition to a residence permit. 

We want to show you, using Germany as an example, what  paperwork you will have to do as an au pair: As an au pair, you have to register as a new citizen with the registration office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”) responsible for your community within one week of your arrival exception: If you are not a citizen of the European Union or the European Economic Area (EEA) you have only 3 days to register). You can usually find the registration office in the city hall. Ask for its opening hours. For the registration, have your ID or your passport ready.

n many cities and municipalities, as an au pair, you will also get a welcome folder with interesting information and tips about your town and region. Often, you can also find coupons or  information  about events in the welcome folder.


If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or if you are coming to Germany from a country of the European Economic Area (EEA), then your registration process is finished after registering with the local registration office. As an au pair, you don’t need a separate work permit.

The earlier application for a “certificate for freedom of movement” is not necessary any more, the law was abolished and the new regulations came into effect on January 29th, 2013. This follows the general idea of the European Union of freedom of movement: EU citizens should be able to live and work freely in another country of the EU. You still need to register with the municipal administration as an au pair, not in order to receive a document of residency, but to fulfill the general registering requirements in Germany.


After your arrival you have to get in touch with the local migration office before starting your work as an au pair. Afterward, you have to register with the local registration office within 3 days. For these appointments, bring your passport with your visa, a copy of the invitation letter from your host family, a copy of your au pair contract and your medical certificate. If you are not a citizen of the EU or the EEA, as an au pair, you need a residence title for specific purposes to enter the country and in order to be able to stay in Germany. This title has to state explicitly that you are allowed to work on German territory (visa/residence permit). You already got your visa at the German embassy or consulate. While deciding whether to approve your application, they contacted the migration office in Germany that is responsible for you. The migration office then got in touch with your host family. Also, the Central Labor Office (Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung, ZAV) was informed of your entry.

Your  visa  allows you to start working immediately upon arrival, in the profession mentioned in your visa (as long as the purpose of your stay or the work permit appear in your passport). Your visa normally is valid for three months, although some embassies give out visas for 12 months right away.

If you are planning a longer  au pair stay , make sure to apply for an extension of your residence and work permit (§18 AufenthG) at the local migration office before your  visa  expires. For this appointment, you’ll also need your passport with the visa, 3 passport pictures, a copy of the invitation letter from your host family, a copy of your au pair contract and your medical certificate. The host family pays for the extension of your au pair visa. Again, for this application, you will need the approval of the ZAV. If you are not an EU or EEA citizen, the approval for your visa extension can only be granted for one year at the most. You cannot ask for another extension of your au pair visa. If you have questions or are not sure about something, ask the local immigration office for help.

Have your host mother or father come with you to these appointments. This will make you feel more secure and if you have any questions about your au pair situation they can be answered quickly and directly.


Your host family has to take out a  health insurance  policy for you before you arrive. The insurance coverage should begin on the day of your arrival. Ask your host parents to give you a copy of your insurance police so you can make sure they really took it out for you and also to have the document on you, in case of an emergency.

After completing all your  paperwork , you can go with your registration card to a bank and open up a bank account. In Germany, many banks offer free bank accounts for young people. Just ask your host family about it.Also, your host family can deposit your money on this account and you will receive a bank card so you don’t always have to pay with cash and you can also use it to take out money at a cash machine.

In order to open up a bank account you should also bring your passport, your registration card and your au pair contract.