• Opening Time : 8:30 AM - 9:30 PM

Paperwork and au pair

Paperwork as host family

After the au pair arrives, what paperwork do you have to take care of? What are the deadlines?
Don’t worry, we have worked out a “paperwork roadmap” for you so you’ll know exactly what to do!

Your au pair has arrived – congratulations!

An exciting year lies ahead. First, though, you should give the au pair some time to get settled in. The trip was probably long and tiring and everything will be new for the au pair. Give the au pair some time to get used to everything. Once the au pair had some time to relax, it is time to take care of the paperwork. It’s good to go with your au pair and help with the formalities. This also gives you a chance to show your au pair around.

Show the au pair – maybe even together with your children – where the closest supermarket is, the closest bus stop, the post office, the pharmacy and anything else you think is important. Please, don’t forget to show the au pair the closest hospital, too. The au pair needs to know where to go in case there is an emergency.

But what about the  paperwork ? What must be done depends not only on the regulations in your country, but also on the country of origin of your au pair.

You and your au pair are from an EU country:

Check if your au pair has to register with the  registration office  in your town. In some countries in Europe this is mandatory. Check the deadlines; in some countries, the au pair has to register within the first couple of days of arrival. Find out where the registration office is – is it the local police station, or does the au pair have to register at a different institution?

So, check the office hours before you go! Registering  usually requires the au pair’s passport as identification. After registration, you are done. Your au pair doesn’t need a work permit 

You are an EU citizen, your au pair is not:

In this case, slightly different regulations apply. Before your au pair starts working, the au pair might have to go the immigration office. This might not actually be necessary, but we recommend it anyway. With so many different international visa processes, there is always the chance that somebody might make a mistake. In order to make sure everything is complete in your au pair’s paperwork, go with your au pair to the immigration office. If you don’t and it later turns out that there was a mistake, you could be charged with illegal employment.

Also, you can ask any questions you might have concerning the visa or the resident alien permit right there at the immigration office. You usually get more information if you go there in person than if you call.

The next step for the au pair is to register at the registration office. Check the regulations in your country. These are the documents your au pair most likely needs in order to register: passport  with a visa, passport pictures, a copy of the invitation letter  from the host family, a copy of the au pair contract  and a certificate of health. 

With this, all the paperwork is taken care of. For now. Since the au pair visa is usually only valid for three months, make sure your au pair gets an extension in time. The foreign resident title of “au pair” usually expires after 12 months. You cannot get an extension after this.

If you are not an EU citizen:

The registration process for au pairs in non-EU countries might be different. Please, check with your local authorities to see what the legal requirements in your country are.

Now you can talk to your au pair about opening up a bank account . Find out if there is a bank where your au pair can open an account for free. If the au pair has a bank account in your country, it will also be easier for you to pay the au pair. You can just wire the money to the au pair’s account. Using transfers can also provide proof for a possible tax deduction; in some countries it is possible to deduct expenses for child care from your taxes , including expenses  for an au pair. Check if this applies to you and to what extent.

Your au pair will get a bank card with the bank account, which will make money transactions a lot easier for them. To open up a bank account, your au pair needs the following documents: a passport and (in some cases) some sort of proof of residence. Some banks might also ask for a copy of the au pair contract.